Saturday, August 4, 2012

Motivating students in a Beginning Computer Class

Teaching a beginning computer class provides for a wide range of attitudes. On one hand there are young students, just out of high school, most of who have grown up on the computer. Older students, on the other hand, often come to class with little or no experience with a computer. Being a required course sometimes affects attitudes also. To some students course is an unwelcome stress factor, while other students see it as a waste of time because they feel that they know all of the information already. This variety of attitudes can be a challenge to an instructor who is faced with progressing at a pace that is appropriate for all students.

Keller’s model of motivation is useful for assessing and improving the motivation of students. A motivated learner will meet the four conditions for motivation out lined by this theory: attention, relevance, confidence, and satisfaction, ARCS (Driscoll, 2005, p. 333). The first day of class provides opportunity for the instructor to motivate students to succeed in the class. The instructor might gain students’ attention, for example, by showing a video depicting new advance in technology. In online classes, students might use discussion boards to discuss the relevance of computers in the work place. Instilling confidence can be difficult, but I have found that spending time individually to tutor and encourage students experiencing difficulty pays large dividends in this area. Providing students with opportunities for success usually helps in the satisfaction category. This can be accomplished by providing learning activities with goals that are understandable, fair, and achievable.

Reference

Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction. Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.




5 comments:

  1. Lyle,
    I agree that spending one on one time with students, that may lack confidence when using technology, is a great strategy.
    Recently, I was at a meeting with a group of educators that are not really fond of technology. However, during our lunch hour, I decided to show them this video ( http://jumpthecurve.net/health-care/a-window-into-the-future/) so that they can begin to understand where we are going technologically and why it is important to begin to think about education and technology differently.
    Your strategy to utilize video clips and other multimedia resources is a great way to get students engaged.
    Great post!
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyle,
      I agree that the motivated learner is much easier to teach, or, learn, than the unmotivated learner. And I can speak from my own experience. Both as the learner and facilitator. Even in this program I can feel my motivation level from time to time. So I have to ARCS myself.
      The smart desktop that is explained in the video looks interesting. It didn't speak much about the everyday uses, like word documents, email, and spreadsheet.

      Nice post. Thanks

      Delete
    2. I like that. A new verb: ARCS!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Lyle. I enjoyed that video about interact surfaces. For our kindergarten teachers, the school district one per teachers. The implementation of the tables are questionable. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lyle,

    As I read your blog entry, I found that I was one of those students who thought I knew everything I needed to know about computers and I didn't need to know anything else. At the time, I didn't know about the ARCS model but it took some of those same principles to motivate me to learn more about computers. Because I was motivated, I am very savvy with using a computer and often times asked at school to help others. Good post and I like that it was relevant to my experience with using a computer.

    ReplyDelete